1878 - The Waterhouse Church

Waterhouse line drawing of the organ caseDue to the popularity of the Vicar, the Revd Roger Buston (who had done much to encourage music in the church and had installed the Walker organ in 1867), the church had become too small for the congregation and was found to be structurally unsound.

Alfred Waterhouse was appointed architect and designed the new church and fittings, including organ case, all of which survive today. The drawings are still in the RIBA archives.

The organ was removed from the west gallery to the school room, where it supported church services while the new church was built. It was cleaned and re-installed in its new case on the north side of the chancel in June 1878 by J.W.Walker.

During the project, Walker advised the church that the organ should be enlarged to cope with the larger church and its less advantageous position. Lack of funds prevented its enlargement by the original builder at this time.